top of page

What Does It Mean To Be A Self-Employed Live-in Carer

Live-in Carer Self Employed At Access Care | Live In Care Provider

At Access Care, a live-in care agency, we register self-employed live-in carers to live in client's own homes and provide in home care services. Sometimes thinking about being self-employed can be confusing and scary, but it doesn't have to be - we wanted to tell you what self-employed really means and put your mind at ease.

There are certain elements which involve being self-employed live-in carer like:

Paying Taxes in the UK

To work in the UK you have to pay tax. HMRC stands for ‘Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs’. HMRC is responsible for the collection of taxes in the UK.

National Insurance

In the UK, if you work as a self-employed care worker and will make a certain amount of money or more a year you have to pay ‘National Insurance Contributions’ (a tax) to our government. You can apply for your National Insurance Number by clicking here.

UTR (Unique Tax Reference Number)

Every year you will need to tell the government how much money you have earned by completing a ‘self-assessment tax return’ form. You will need to have your UTR Number to hand when completing this paperwork. HMRC use this number to identify you as a self-employed tax payer. You can apply for your UTR Number by clicking here.


There are many companies in the UK that provide ‘Self-employed Care Worker Insurance’ and it is the name of the policy you will need to be offered to work through Access Care as a home carer. You may buy your insurance from any company but please send a copy of the policy schedule to the office (via post or email). Buy Carers Public Liability Insurance Online by clicking here.

If you need any more help please ask us at the office by emailing or calling 01264 319 399 and asking to speak to Emma. If you would like to Register as a Live-in carer with Access Care, please call us or complete this form on our website and we will get back to you!


bottom of page