Christmas Day is one of the biggest days of the year in the UK and there are plenty of ways you as a carer can help make it extra special for your live-in care client.
Here’s a list of 12 ideas to get you going:
1. Decorate the house. Get the Christmas decorations and the tree up in your clients house. This is something fun you can do with your client and turn their home into a winter wonderland! For those that love crafts, you could even have a go at making some home-made decorations.
2. Christmas Cards. Why not help your client write cards to their friends and relatives. You can even help them create their own homemade cards. You can also help your client display any cards that they receive around the house which will add to the Christmas decoration!
3. Christmas Lights. Wrap up nice and warm and take your client for a walk (or a drive if you can) around the local area and take a look at all the Christmas lights. You could even make a nice hot drink to take with you to help keep you nice and warm - how about a hot chocolate?
4. Christmas Baking. Get busy in the kitchen and bake some festive treats. It’s great fun mixing, baking and decorating and tasty to eat – it’s a win-win situation! For those that consider themselves great bakers, why not try and build your own ginger bread house - the challenge is on!
5. Stay In Touch With Close Ones. Many people miss out on seeing loves ones during the festive season, which can bring spirits down. To help keep your client in touch with close ones, you can help them set up a Skype or video call.
6. Christmas Radio. The radio is always playing some great Christmas tunes this time of year. Why not turn the music up in the house and have a good sing-a-long.
7. Go an Watch A Panto! Take your client to watch a pantomime. You will find that many local villages and towns do their own panto and many of them with early show times which will help if your client likes to get to bed early.
8. The Queen’s Speech. Every year at 3pm on Christmas Day you can turn your TV’s on to watch The Queen’s Christmas Message. This is a tradition for many people across the UK and something that your client may like to watch too.
9. Carol Service. Most churches in the UK hold carol services in the weeks leading up to Christmas. The service usually consists of hymns about Christmas and readings from the gospels telling the Christmas story.
10. Christmas Gift. A small gift can go a long way. Getting your client a small gift to open on Christmas Day can be something really special to help celebrate the day. Many older people love to receive handmade gifts, you can find plenty of ideas on the internet.
11. Christmas Dinner. A traditional Christmas dinner usually consists of turkey with stuffing, mashed & roast potatoes, gravy and vegetables such as carrots, sprouts and parsnips. For many people in the UK Christmas dinner is a big part of the big day! If you have a client who doesn’t enjoy a traditional dinner, you could make them their favourite meal.
12. Christmas Movies. Everyone loves a good Christmas film. It’s a great way to get into the festive spirit and there are so many to choose from! Some of our all time favourites include Miracle on 34thStreet, It’s A Wonderful Life & The Holiday.
If you would like to register as a self-employed live-in carer with Access Care, then please contact Lynnsey on 01264 326 510 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to arrange live-in care for a relative, please call o1264 326 505 or email email@example.com.